Creating Custom Products
What we'll cover in this article
How products look on the storefront
Below is a picture of a product as it is displayed on the storefront, with a guide to help you understand how and where the most common pieces of information are displayed to your customers.
- Product Name - The name of your product
- Image - The image for your product
- Price - The price your product is being sold at, this is normally determined by your Global Price Rule or Site Price listed on the product edit page
- SKU - The unique identifier for your product
- Manufacturer - The logo for the manufacturer you selected on the product edit page will appear here
- Long Description - The long description of your product
- Product Type Properties - Product Type Properties can be used to add more custom details to your products
- Short Description - The short description of your product
Creating a Single Product
Creating a product manually from scratch is a very simple and straightforward process. First you would go to the admin side of your website and click "Store Catalog" and then "Products"
Clicking on "Add New Product" will take you to the product edit page where you will input all the information you have available on your custom product. There are several fields on this page. The only required fields are SKU and Name. We recommend that you also add the following basic details to your product:
1. Manufacturer - The selected manufacturer's logo will appear on the storefront
2. List Price (MSRP) - The suggested selling price
3. Cost - Your cost for the item
4. Site Price - The sell price. This is the price site users/visitors see on the storefront
5. Vendor Name - Name of the vendor of your product
6. Long Description - Details of your product
7. Short Description - One sentence summary of your product
8. Product Images- You can use the same image for small medium and large: recommend size 500 x 500 pixels
Editing an Existing Product
Editing a product in our system is simple. There are multiple ways to get to the edit product page. If you are logged in as an admin, you can simply view the product on the storefront and look at the top of the page, and click "Edit Product"
The other method is to use the admin panel to locate the product under "Store Catalog>Products". You can use the search bar and filter here to find what you need.
Once you are on the product details page, you can change any of the details about the product that you wish.
To change product details on managed content, you will need to turn off the managed portion of the product that you wish to change. At the bottom of the product details page there are checkboxes that allow you to disable this. This feature will need to be turned on for you, so please submit a ticket if you wish to change the information.
For more information regarding managed content, please visit "What is Managed Content?".
Adding Images to Products
Adding images to your products begins with an image file. There are two ways to go about this process:
- Manually, one product at a time
- Through an import, many products at a time
Manually Adding Images
In order to manually add an image to a product, first you want to have your image file located somewhere that you access it on your computer. In order for our system to recognize an image, it must be in a regular image format (.jpg, .png, etc), and it must be uploaded into your file manager.
We recommend uploading images into your "images" folder for organization purposes. If you'd like to keep things even more organized, or if you are uploading many images for different vendors, we recommend creating a folder for each vendor within your images folder.
Below is a video that demonstrates how to upload a single image into your file manager.
The final step would be to locate your product in the Store Catalog section of your admin and scroll down to the "Product Images" section and click "Select" on which image type you'd like your image file to go in to. This will bring up the file manager box, and you can double click your image to select the one that you want:
Here is an explanation on each image type:
- Small Image - shows up on the results page after a search is conducted
- Medium Image - shows on the product page
- Large image - shows up on the product page when you click to zoom in
Don't forget to save!
Adding Images via Import
You may have many images that you want to add to many products. If this is the case, the process is very similar, except you will be using a spreadsheet to assign the images to the product, instead of doing it manually.
The first step is to get your images together, locally, on your computer. We recommend naming your images the same as the SKU they will be assigned to - this makes it much easier to import. Once you've got all your images together in a folder and named accordingly, you'll want to upload them into your file manager:
If you have more than 20-30 images, you can use our FTP server to import them into the file manager. Please submit a ticket here to get access: http://support.logicblock.com
Once you have all of your images uploaded into your file manager, the next step would be to create a spreadsheet. Your spreadsheet should have a header for SKU and a header for every Image Type you want to load an image into (imagefilesmall, imagefilemedium, imagefilelarge). Your spreadsheet might look something like this:
Once you have your spreadsheet ready, you can use the product importer to import your spreadsheet.
Check "update products" and click "next" until the import is complete. You've just added pictures to your products!
Importing Many Products
Obtain a Spreadsheet
The first step to importing more than one product at a time on your website is to obtain a spreadsheet with your product data. This may be something you already have on hand, or something that you receive from your wholesaler.
Once you have the product data in your or your wholesaler's format, you will need to map it into our format so you can easily import it. Below is a list of our headers that are most commonly used, and what they mean.
Common headers include:
- SKU - Stock Keeping Unit/Item number
- productname - Name of the product
- siteprice - Retail/sell price that shown on the storefront
- listprice - Suggested selling price, normally deemed by the wholesaler
- sitecost - Your cost at which you buy the product from your wholesaler
- longdescription - The description of the product that shows up on the product page
- imagefilesmall - Small Image: shows up on the results page after a search is conducted
- imagefilemedium - Medium Image: shows on the product page
- imagefilelarge - Large image; shows up on the product page when you click to zoom in
- category - Categorization of the product
- keywords - Words that will pull up the product when input as a search term in the storefront
- trackinventory - Monitor inventory
- upsshippable - UPS Shippable; small parcel
- unitofmeasure - Unit of Measure
- upc - Universal Product Code
- manufacturername - Manufacturer Name
- vendorname - Vendor Name
- outofstockmode - Out of Stock Mode
- shippingheight - Shipping Height
- shippinglength - Shipping Length
- shippingweight - Shipping Weight
- shippingwidth - Shipping Width
- shippingmode - Shipping Mode
- producttype - Product Type
Importing the Spreadsheet
Importing products on our system is simple. Once you have the spreadsheet configured into our format, you would simply load it into the product importer. The product importer is located under Store Catalog>Import/Export tools. If you are adding products for the first time, you'd want to only check "Add New Products"
The next step is to click "open" - a dialogue box will pop up and it will allow you to select a file from your computer. Click "upload" and then click "Select.
Once you have the file in your file manager, you can double click it - make sure "Add new products" is selected, and click "Import"