A user is any person that has created an account in the system, or has had an account created on their behalf. Using User Groups and Permissions a user can be given rights to assigned areas of the admin panel, thus giving them rights to view/access selected areas in the admin and can be used to limit employee access to select areas to perform their duties or disallow access to areas they are not permitted to view.
Users also include customers. From the initial users screen, you can create new users or edit existing users.
What we'll cover in this Article
This page allows you to view the users that are currently stored on your website. To get to it, go to: People > Users
1. To create a new User, click the "Add New User" button.
2. To edit a User, click the edit icon.
3. To export the list of users, click the "Export Users" icon
4. The filter by role dropdown allows you to filter users by their User Group
5. The filter by salesperson dropdown allows you to filter users by their assigned salesperson.
When you first edit a User, you are presented with the basic information about their account.
To save, click "Save and Return".
The User Information Section looks like the above image. Information about each input is outlined below.
- First/Last Name - Sets the First and Last name of the user.
- Username - The username is the unique name given to a user. This username will be used to log into the store.
- Email - Sets the email address for the user. The verify email button will send a verification email to the user, and once the user clicks the verification link a badge will display on their user page.
- Notes - Admin notes for the user
- Custom Question Answers - If the user setup form has a custom questions, the answers will be displayed here.
- Product Lists - Access the users product lists.
- Default Shipping/Payment - Displays current default shipping and payment methods for the account.
- Company Name/Account Number - Sets the company name and account number of the user.
- Tax Exempt - User is not required to pay taxes.
- Shipping Exempt - User is not required to pay for shipping.
- Salesperson - The person assigned to take orders on behalf of the user.
- Pricing Rule - Special pricing for a user. For more details on Price Rules please see the Price Rules section.
- Restricted Product lists - Allows the user to choose from Product lists for this account to restrict browsing
- Customer Message - Any message you want displayed on the user's account dashboard when they login.
- Show Password - This will display the users password on this page.
- Login Locked - This option is enabled if the customer has exceeded the number of tries while attempting to enter their password.
- Secret Hint/Answer - You can set a hint as well as the answer to the users password here.
- Default Addresses - These two addresses will be the users default Billing and Shipping address.
- Address Book - Displays all addresses used by a customer. Click the Add Address button to create a new address for the user.
- Save Enabled Addresses - Saves all addresses that have the enabled checkbox checked.
- Disable All Addresses - Disables all addresses in the user's address book from use.
- Enable All Addresses - Enables all addresses in the user's address book for use.
Groups allow you to apply a "group" or "classification" to users. Â For example, you may want to create a Group of customers that are "Preferred Customers".
To assign a Group to a user, move from right to left by selecting the Group and clicking the arrows.
Groups can be configured under People > User Groups and Permissions. More help with Groups & Permissions.
Deactivating a User
To deactivate (disable) a user, simply click the "Deactivate User" tab.
Deleting a User
Once you have deactivated a user, you will be presented with a button for "Delete User".
NOTE: Deleting a user will remove ALL of their recorded information.
So, if a user has orders or address books or favorites they will all be disconnected from their record.
For a more detailed description of the functionality of the features found in this section of the admin as well as the definitions for the terminology used, please visit the following link(s):